Friday, May 05, 2006

Bat Kut Teh

First time when I cook bat kut teh, I just use ready made packet from Cosway. Dump it together with the pork rib and whole glove of garlic. Boil for approximate 1-1.5 hour. Yikes, the taste so bad, not nice at all. After quite some time, my elder sister told me, have to "kah liu"(加料) only nice, so she taught me use 2 packet instead of 1, then add some tong sum(党参), dang gui(当归), gou zhi (枸子), red dates (红枣) etc... I tried again with her recepi, erm...not bad wor! So most of the time I will cook this way! Until one day one of my friend told me those chinese medical hall sell one also very nice, they will use ready make packet too, but 'kah liu" too! 2 months back,when I bought my girls' milk powder in chinese medical hall that I use to "pong chan", I ask them whether thyey sell any "bat kut teh" ingredient or not. He said yes, ask me how much I want, he ahs RM3, RM4, RM5...depend how thick the soup u want. Being first timer, so I ask for RM5. Cook it in one of the weekend with pork rib + whole glove of garlic again, of course have to wash it before dump into the pot! Boil for nearly 1 hour plus, then add some pepper, light and dark soy sauce. The taste much better than my earlier recepi! The ingredients buy from the chinese medical hall got : ready made packet, tong sum(党参), gou qi (枸杞), red dates(红枣), huang qi(黄耆), kan zhao (干草), shu di (熟地)...as shown in above pic. I think if u buy those ready made packet and just add these ingredient, the taste will be good too! p/s: I ever tried the BKT as mentioned in Jason's blog, but hubby and I not really like it! Salty and spicy too! maybe that day the cook not in good mood gua!

15 comments:

Jason Lioh said...

His BKT isnt really BKT neh. Alot of black pepper nia~ :P

So, when mau cook for me?

Mumsgather said...

Must try getting the herbs from the chinese med kedai one of these days, those ready packed ones don't taste authentic.

mom2ashley said...

for me..i just use the ones in the packet ;)

LHS said...

Long long time i didn't sip on any bat-kuh-teh, i don't like it much...

If you come to KL, you can try one in Puchong, their side dishes are PERFECT especially the fish head.

Sue said...

I love BKT, can eat it anytime :P Yumm...

Jess said...

jason:
anytime can cook wan since my hubby love it so much!

mumsgather:
ya la, ready pack one not nice at all!

mom2ashley:
try add some herb, sure u will like it!

huisia:
china hardly find BKT hor. One of the boss here went china do bkt business, he sou tong after 6 mth. at first he tot got good response, end up no one come to pong chan his shop...lol

sue:
ya, my family member love it too! I cook it once a week.

Magictree said...

Wah..thanks for your tips, now I can try again. My bakuteh adventure was most disastrous so never tried again. Actually, almost everything that I tried first time end up disastrous. Shy to let people know that I am a SAHM!!!

Jess said...

magictree,
me lazy bum, always look for ready packet wan. After few times testing, only found the secret of cooking. No need feel paiseh wan lar.

Maria,
hehe..no need say TQ, i heard a lot from u indeed!

Jess said...

maria,
sorry, shoud be : i leart a lot from u (in cooking)indeed!

lisaOne said...

never try cooking BKT at home but if i ever try, will make use of your tips. TQ.

Allyfeel said...

Eh really arr? I want to try cooking it also ler. Let me go grab one and try this weekend.

Jess said...

2 little fellas:
my hubby love BKT, so I learn lor!

khongfamily:
outside bkt nice becos they added msg lor!

allyfeel:
yup, try and let me know your result! :P

ZMM said...

Yeah.. the ones you pack in Chinese herbalist shop, the taste very much better one.. Why no pix of the pot of Bak Kut Teh??

Tracy said...

Eiks! I always use the packet ones wor from A1 but I 'ka liu' too to make the taste better. Maybe u can put a few more cloves of garlic.

Jess said...

zara's mama:
i was thinking nothing to show, so no take pic lor! :P

tracy:
i tried A1 too, "ka liu" and garlic too...but still prefer those packet buy from shop one!